It is not enough to just establish a black ERG and call it a day without including black people. Companies are pushing for the commitment or recommitment to black employee resource groups (ERGs) in the workplace as part of their post-COVID diversity and inclusion initiatives. These companies are prioritizing human connection through team bonding activities for black ERGs. They say it’s to benefit us, but how could it be when they continue to leave us out of the planning process?
When our input and interests are not being listened to, considered, or valued, how can you possibly expect for team bonding activities to be well received by black ERGs when they weren’t created by us? We see this a lot in white dominated corporate cultures where black employees feel disconnected, left out, and ignored when it comes to team bonding with their ERGs.
There are several challenges that come with aligning team bonding activities with black ERGs in corporate. However, there are also strategies and tools that can be implemented to strengthen black ERG team bonding in a disconnected workplace. If your black ERG team bonding activities are struggling to be in alignment with the interests of your members, then keep reading.
4 BLACK ERG TEAM BONDING CHALLENGES IN THE WORKPLACE
#1 CHALLENGE: BLACK ERG MEMBERS FEEL DISCONNECTED IN WHITE DOMINANT CULTURE.
- Communicate and connect with the members of the black ERG on a consistent monthly basis.
- Avoid letting months go by without any form of communication or connection.
- Learn what black ERG member’s preferences are in terms of how they enjoy connecting for team bonding activities.
#2 CHALLENGE: BLACK ERG INPUT IS NOT BEING INCLUDED IN TEAM BONDING ACTIVITIES.
- Ask for input and feedback from the black ERG members in order to deeply understand what their needs are when it comes to team bonding activities. This will ensure that the team bonding activities are effective and satisfactory.
- Take action to tailor team bonding activities to be specifically valuable to black ERGs.
#3 CHALLENGE: THERE’S NOT ENOUGH BLACK PEOPLE THAT ARE PART OF ERG LEADERSHIP.
- Include more black people in ERG leadership and support them with finances, resources, and compensation (if possible) to help them feel appreciated for their efforts in Black ERG team bonding planning.
- Ensure that more black people are at the ERG leadership meetings, and allow for them to have work flexibility with their work teams without fault.
#4 CHALLENGE: TEAM BONDING ACTIVITIES FOR BLACK ERGs ARE NOT FUN OR EFFECTIVE.
- When planning events and team bonding activities for black ERGs, seek ways to make it fun and effective in order to increase member satisfaction.
- Allow members to be their most authentic selves to help improve their communication as they get to know each other better.
- This can be done through implementing exciting game nights and card games as a more effective way to engage black ERGs with team bonding activities, which is actually our expertise.
Here at Work and Chill Games, we host fun and effective game nights for team bonding as a way to help break the awkwardness of connecting with members and to help build a deeper connection. In our hosted game nights, we love playing our favorite card game, the Guess My Preference Card Game, where black ERG members compete to see who knows each other the best! It’s a fun & competitive way to learn more about your work colleagues’ lifestyle preferences!
CONCLUSION: STRENGTHEN BLACK ERGs TEAM BONDING WITH WORK AND CHILL GAMES
If your black ERG members feel disconnected in their workplace or if they are unsatisfied with the lack of representation in the planning process of team bonding activities, then they might need to try some of these solutions, especially the one about making team bonding fun and effective. At Work and Chill Games, we have just the human connection tool to help build an inclusive workplace. From team game nights to team card games, Work and Chill Games has your back. Learn more about how we can help by reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org today! A member of our team will connect with you
Check out Convo and Chill for after work fun & relationship building.
Convo and Chill Original Edition 99 questions that will Spark Epic Conversations with friends & guests
FOR PARTIES, KICK-BACKS, DATE NIGHT and MORE: This is the best adult party game to ignite epic conversations! It’s the perfect card game for parties, game nights, pre-games, a casual chill night with friends, date nights for couples and more.
A VARIETY OF HOT TOPICS:
From “Should your partner be allowed to go through your phone?” and “Who is your celebrity crush?” to “Which is worse: Physical or Emotional cheating?” and 96 more!